Saturday, November 12, 2011

7 Free and Easy Ways to Spruce Up your Home for Thanksgiving Guests - Day One

Preparing for house guests is always a challenge for me.  I want everything to be perfect and I scramble until it looks that way.  The fact is... no one knows what the picture in your head looks like but you.  So if things aren't perfect, the only one who knows it is you! 

 To prepare for the 25+ guests I am having at my FIRST thanksgiving, I decided to let go of the picture in my head and just add some small touches that I hope will make a BIG difference in how my home feels.

For those of you who are just stopping by, I have committed to only spend $10 on my decorating for at least 30 days... so this is all budget friendly :o)

Day One - Add Some Pillows!

Pillows take absolutely no time to make!  I have been putting off making some throw pillows for my couch for a long time.  Once I started, I couldn't (and haven't) stopped!  

I couldn't believe how much more inviting my living room was when I added some color and texture to my couch.  I had 1 throw pillow 3 days ago (well I had 4 ugly ones that came with the sofa... but they were tucked away in a closet so they don't count!)

Now I have lots!


The ruffly ones I did using leftover drop cloth and this no sew ruffle technique.  And for those who are wondering... my shower curtain is holding up great!


The white one below and the dark gray pillow were purchased at goodwill and sanitized... there goes the first $1 of my budget :o)


Here is what my couch looked like before.  The dent is from my dog.  I swear it's one of the most masculine couches out there.



Here it is after adding a few pillows and moving the lamp from one end table to the other.  I LOVE looking down into my living room... it just feels more like home to me.  So I know it will feel more homey to my Thanksgiving company.



In case you need some more pillow inspiration....

Pinned Image
 via

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image


Lots more pillows on my to do list now!!

I have had a lot of people ask me how I have time to do all of this stuff and still take care of my munchkins, so I thought I would take a shot of what they do.  


They are usually with me doing exactly what I do in their own way.  I let them help me brush the wall, sew, "paint" furniture (with chalk), and they even help me take pictures :o)

Please join me tomorrow for another free and easy tip to sprucing your home for Thanksgiving Guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments- they really make my day :o) Please let me know you are here because I would love to come back and visit you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...