Friday, November 4, 2011

A Break in the Hospital

I am writing from the couch in our room at the wonderful Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. While it seemed that Boog was getting better, her body was actually getting worse.

The day after Halloween her fever snuck up to 104 again. After every dose of tylenol it would shoot right back up. She was just as lethargic (nearly unresponsive) as before. So the next day, for the 3rd time in 2 weeks, we took her to the doctor for it. They told us she had probably just caught another virus since her immune system was down, but decided to do some bloodwork just in case.

Another hospital visit to get blood work and home we went.

About 3 hours later we got a call that we needed to go pick up a strong antibiotic and if we were unable to get a whole dose in her we needed to take her to the ER. She, of course, spit it directly back in our face, so off to CHOA we went.

That was Wednesday. We are still here. As it turns out she had a bad kidney infection and she was severly dehydrated. After lots of pokes and prods, the fever has been gone for 12 hours and they have unhooked her from her IV. I am so thankful to see sneaks and peaks of my little girl back. After 2 weeks she is smiling, giggling, and blabbing her sweet little mouth off again.

If her fever stays away and we can get her to swallow a dose of her antibiotics, we should be discharged sometime tomorrow afternoon.

I am so thankful to live in a country where she can get this kind of treatment and in a city with a hospital as wonderful as CHOA. What a blessing.

Thank you to all who have been praying for us and for all of the calls and emails. She is a blessed and loved little girl.

Projects will resume upon arrival at home :o) I am missing my paintbrush. I thought about painting the hospital room, but I wasn't sure if they would appreciate it or not :o)

Have a wonderful weekend!!
Katie

5 comments:

  1. Poor little one. And poor parents. It's so hard to be helpless and watch your baby suffer, no matter the age of said baby :-). Glad to hear things are looking up, praying she'll be able to take meds by mouth and go home soon. Best not to rush it, though. She sure won't want to go back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear your little girl is on the mend - what a scary time for you all.

    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured your no-sew shower curtain on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 74
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you have had to go through this! I am so happy to hear she is feeling better and that they have found out what is really wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    I am so sorry to hear about your precious little baby girl being so sick. You are right--we are very blessed to live in a place where you can get good medical care. When I read about people retiring to other countries I can't help but think that they may be in for a rude awakening when they get sick.

    All the best,

    charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad she is doing better. What a scary thing for her parents! I hope you are doing better as well:) And to answer your questions, yes I made the curtains! I love them to death!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments- they really make my day :o) Please let me know you are here because I would love to come back and visit you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...