Monday, November 21, 2011

7 Free and Easy Ways to Spruce Up Your Home Thanksgiving Guests - Day Four

Slap on a Coat of Paint!


Please pardon the skipping of days in this series... I have learned an important lesson.  Never try to do a 7-day series when you are getting your house ready to host a big Thanksgiving dinner.  It isn't wise.


Now that the confession is over with...


This day goes hand in hand with day 3 because it is just as easy to whip out my paint brush as it is for me to pull out the spray paint :)


I love when our home looks a little different every time people come over.  The truth is, most of the time people don't notice the little things, but I do and it makes me feel good!


There were 2 pieces of furniture that took maybe 2 hours total to change up. I only had the patience to take a before picture of one of them.  I think I have a problem... I LOVE TO PAINT FURNITURE!!


This was one of the first pieces of furniture that I inherited when I moved out of my college dorm room.  I'm not sure where it came from, but clearly no one wanted it anymore.  In an attempt to make it better (in my just out of college style) I stapled some fabric across the front and turned it around backwards.  It worked until I moved out of that house and my sister inherited it.  Well last week I inherited it back... fabric still in tact!




Not exactly the look I was going for in my living room though :)  So I took the fabric off, turned it around, and painted the stuffin's out of it.  If you are interested in how to paint the stuffin's out of your own furniture, go here.


Love Love Love

The other piece of furniture was a coffee table that I got awhile back for $10 at a yard sale.  I have this knack for putting things on hold and having 3 people ask about it before I buy it.  I spotted it in a garage sale that was about 10 minutes from being over on it's final day. I went to get the cash and there were 3 people there when I got back trying to deal with the lady so they could take it home - not happenin' folks.  This is my beauty!

I have seen a lot of beautiful pieces of furniture lately with painted bases and their original wood tops and I wanted one!





Overall the painting process is really easy.  Most people think it is a really arduous task to paint a piece of furniture, but I think most of the time it is just fear that you are going to mess up a perfectly good piece of furniture.  

All I can say is..... you never know until you try.  And, like Nester says, it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.


-Katie


P.S. I'm not sure what's going on with the timing of my posts.  I titled them awhile back and apparently blogger thinks that I both wrote them and posted them when I named them.  Weird.

1 comment:

  1. What a great furniture makeover! Who knew that the "couch table" (I'm sure there is a better name for it, but I can't think of it right now) could look so great! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments- they really make my day :o) Please let me know you are here because I would love to come back and visit you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...